Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only sampled a few tracks so far, but noticed that the tambourine is missing from the intro to "Day Tripper". Intentional, Giles?

Update: My mistake. It's there, but I couldn't hear when played on my computer. When I listened on my main system, it's there . All good.:)

Last edited:
To add to my comments on the streaming thread ( but wanted to post here) these two releases are such a revelation in so many ways, even as a 69 yr old Beatlemaniac. For example, Michelle had become one of the tiredest songs in the catalog for me. Now, with this beautiful mix, it has miraculously become a go-to on this collection. They’ve managed to provide clarity, dynamics (even a plus for a song like this) and yet keep enough warmth. I’m loving these 😀

To add to my comments on the streaming thread ( but wanted to post here) these two releases are such a revelation in so many ways, even as a 69 yr old Beatlemaniac. For example, Michelle had become one of the tiredest songs in the catalog for me. Now, with this beautiful mix, it has miraculously become a go-to on this collection. They’ve managed to provide clarity, dynamics (even a plus for a song like this) and yet keep enough warmth. I’m loving these 😀
I’ll add that Giles definitely does better mixes on the sparser tracks. Girl, Michelle, Yesterday, etc. are done really well

I like Ted_b wanted to express my opinion.
This recent release (Red & Blue) I purchased the Japanese SHM CD's and the HDTracks 24bit downloads.
I have listened to the Apple-Atmos version.
Quite a revelation of improvement, on all versions compared to my previous copy's.
SHM CD's, purchased more for collection purpose's as my Beatles SHM CD collection remains still complete.
I ripped the SHM CD's to compare them to the HDTracks, with the HDTracks Dynamic Range just being a tick up improvement.
I compared the SHM CD's to my previous SHM CD's and DR was identical, even though a different mix.

The Atmos so enjoyable. I love the fact that between all the Atmos tracks, there is not a locked in plan for all the tracks, some tracks have fantastic surround and some tracks lean more towards stereo. I like this, keeps me engaged in listening.

The HDTracks stereo will now be my go to, sounds great, if not listening in Atmos.
The SHM CD's I decided to not keep in my NAS, and just shelf added to my collection.

Re: Now and Then
I've grabbed the HDtracks 24 bit single and now the copy on the Red/Blue 24 bit release and both are the same extreme volume war edition. Brutally slammed. I mean with that thing the kids are doing where you brick wall limit it to death and then turn that result down to hit a volume restriction. You can't even hear any problems with the vocal because the entire band sound is so fully slammed. What the heck, right?! Actually you do still hear the warbly processed thing on the vox but the full sound destruction takes center stage.

Has this even been released in quality anywhere yet?
All the fuss over the rough demo vocals and come to find out they destroyed all the fidelity in the newly recorded bits so fully to make any of that a moot point.

Re: Now and Then
I've grabbed the HDtracks 24 bit single and now the copy on the Red/Blue 24 bit release and both are the same extreme volume war edition. Brutally slammed. I mean with that thing the kids are doing where you brick wall limit it to death and then turn that result down to hit a volume restriction. You can't even hear any problems with the vocal because the entire band sound is so fully slammed. What the heck, right?! Actually you do still hear the warbly processed thing on the vox but the full sound destruction takes center stage.

Has this even been released in quality anywhere yet?
All the fuss over the rough demo vocals and come to find out they destroyed all the fidelity in the newly recorded bits so fully to make any of that a moot point.

I have no desire to hear this, I won't be buying any version of this at all. Don't need the disappointment.

You’ll need to scroll down quite a bit but I believe all Dolby Atmos mixes except for the ones featured on previous box sets (Abbey Road, Let It Be) and the streaming Pepper Atmos mix are new from 2023. I have yet to compare the ‘1’ Atmos mixes to these new ones. The Atmos mixes from 1 should be without the use of the de-mixing technology.

One thing I noticed is Strawberry Fields has a 2023 Atmos mix, as expected because it wasn’t mixed when the Pepper Atmos mix was done. It also wasn’t included on the standard 1 compilation but Penny Lane was and it doesn’t state having a new 2023 Atmos mix. It just says “2017 mix”. Is this just the streaming ‘1’ Atmos mix?

https://www.thebeatles.com/announcement

Last edited:
You’ll need to scroll down quite a bit but I believe all Dolby Atmos mixes except for the ones featured on previous box sets (Abbey Road, Let It Be) and the streaming Pepper Atmos mix are new from 2023. I have yet to compare the ‘1’ Atmos mixes to these new ones. The Atmos mixes from 1 should be without the use of the de-mixing technology.

One thing I noticed is Strawberry Fields has a 2023 Atmos mix, as expected because it wasn’t mixed when the Pepper Atmos mix was done. It also wasn’t included on the standard 1 compilation but Penny Lane was and it doesn’t state having a new 2023 Atmos mix. It just says “2017 mix”. Is this just the streaming ‘1’ Atmos mix?

https://www.thebeatles.com/announcement
Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane had a single with Atmos mixes. The Penny Lane mix from the single is not the same as the mix on 1. I believe the single mix is what is featured on Blue 2023 Edition.

Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane had a single with Atmos mixes. The Penny Lane mix from the single is not the same as the mix on 1. I believe the single mix is what is featured on Blue 2023 Edition.
Interesting! I wasn’t aware of the single Atmos versions. So I wonder why SFF got a new mix and not Penny Lane.

The official announcement I think is not totally accurate with respect to the Atmos mixes featured on the Blue Album 2023 edition. By my count, there are 23 new mixes:

Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life (with clean intro)
All You Need Is Love
I Am The Walrus
Hello, Goodbye
The Fool On The Hill
Magical Mystery Tour
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude
Revolution
Back In The U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Glass Onion
Blackbird
Hey Bulldog
Get Back (single version)
Don’t Let Me Down
The Ballad Of John And Yoko
Old Brown Shoe
Let It Be (single version)
Now And Then

I downloaded the Red album and the five new stereo mixes on the Blue album from iTunes. Lot's of interesting choices in the mixes. "Please Please Me" is derived from the alternate take stereo mix with the vocal flub intact. Surely they could have flown in the demixed vocal from the mono version to fix this? And it seems like at least a few tracks are merely remixed without any Peter Jackson involvement at all. The mix of "Nowhere Man" is nearly identical to the mix on the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack." And the mix of the ending of "I Am the Walrus" is simply bizarre, with no effort to capture the flavor of the original mono mix or subsequent stereo mixes.

I downloaded the Red album and the five new stereo mixes on the Blue album from iTunes. Lot's of interesting choices in the mixes. "Please Please Me" is derived from the alternate take stereo mix with the vocal flub intact. Surely they could have flown in the demixed vocal from the mono version to fix this? And it seems like at least a few tracks are merely remixed without any Peter Jackson involvement at all. The mix of "Nowhere Man" is nearly identical to the mix on the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack." And the mix of the ending of "I Am the Walrus" is simply bizarre, with no effort to capture the flavor of the original mono mix or subsequent stereo mixes.
The 2023 mix Please Please Me does seem to fix the out of sync mess that occurs at the end of the song in the original stereo mix.

The new mix of Nowhere Man is similar to the Songtrack, but without the reverb most evident in the opening harmonies.

And as I said earlier, they restored the harmonica during the intro of From Me To You that was originally inserted directly onto the mono mix down.

I took a gander over at SHF to see what those guys are saying, and I’m honestly shocked at the mostly positive reception to the new stereo mixes. They haven’t been to kind to Giles’ work in the past so nice to see we’re all enjoying the new mixes.
You have to realize that the average membership is much younger than it used to be. Many 1st and 2nd generation Beatles fans have passed away and younger ones have joined those forums. This can change the scenery quite a bit. The same thing will happen here as well (and sooner than we think).

Here's an example for you. There's an active thread at the moment titled:

Which Satanic songs inspired you then and still touch you now?

So yes, perhaps these SH.tv members are happy with the Beatles remixes...

I need help making sense of all this. I've got physical copies of the stereo mixes and access to Atmos on Tidal. I've also purchased every BluRay set by the Fabs. There are seven different years referenced as mix years. Please help me understand.

2015 - These are the "1+" mixes? Stereo I understand, but where did the Atmos mixes come from? If I remember correctly the 5.1 mixes on the BluRay were done by playing the stereo mixes in Studio 2 at one end of the room and then recording the "rears" at the other end. So not really a 5.1 mix. Was the Atmos based on these faux 5.1 mixes?

2017 - The Sgt Pepper 50th. Giles did an original Atmos mix for large theater presentations. Did he remix it for home consumption as promised?

2018 - The "White Album" 50th. Again we had stereo mixes. Where did the Atmos come from?

2019 - Abbey Road 50th. OK, stereo and Atmos on the BluRay. No questions here.

2021 - Let It Be 50th. Ditto as Abbey Road.

2022 - Revolver. No questions. New stereo and Atmos mixes released this year on streaming only.

2023 - All other material remixed this year, stereo and Atmos. Again, no questions here.

So in conclusion, where (or should I say, when) were the Atmos mixes done for 2015, 2017 and 2018 marked mixes?

i am confused, there is no physical disc for the atmos? correct,.

I need help making sense of all this. I've got physical copies of the stereo mixes and access to Atmos on Tidal. I've also purchased every BluRay set by the Fabs. There are seven different years referenced as mix years. Please help me understand.

2015 - These are the "1+" mixes? Stereo I understand, but where did the Atmos mixes come from? If I remember correctly the 5.1 mixes on the BluRay were done by playing the stereo mixes in Studio 2 at one end of the room and then recording the "rears" at the other end. So not really a 5.1 mix. Was the Atmos based on these faux 5.1 mixes?

2017 - The Sgt Pepper 50th. Giles did an original Atmos mix for large theater presentations. Did he remix it for home consumption as promised?

2018 - The "White Album" 50th. Again we had stereo mixes. Where did the Atmos come from?

2019 - Abbey Road 50th. OK, stereo and Atmos on the BluRay. No questions here.

2021 - Let It Be 50th. Ditto as Abbey Road.

2022 - Revolver. No questions. New stereo and Atmos mixes released this year on streaming only.

2023 - All other material remixed this year, stereo and Atmos. Again, no questions here.

So in conclusion, where (or should I say, when) were the Atmos mixes done for 2015, 2017 and 2018 marked mixes?
Sgt. Pepper has been available in Atmos on streaming services for years. In fact, there have been 2 different Atmos mixes. The current version being better than the original.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the Atmos mix information in the official announcement has some discrepancies. For example, The White Album has never had an Atmos release, so if the mixes are indeed from 2018 they were previously unreleased. Presumably Giles created Atmos and 5.1 mixes at the same time and the Atmos mix was never included in the super deluxe box or released to streaming.

Back