A little about myself, if it's ok

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CABAL

Hi.

I'm new to this forum. I found it while seaching the net
for info about Pink Floyd's quad mixes. I'm 28 years old,
so I haven't 'lived' the original quad area, but I've always
been a Pink Floyd-listener, sometimes bordering to the
extreme. When all my class-mates heard the ususal pop-
music way back in school, I listened to Floyd. I have all
the albums and Roger Waters solo works. Actually I'm
more of a Waters-fan than Floyd-fan...unless Waters
was IN the band at the time.

The first time I heard quad was a couple of days ago. I'm
very much into CRT projectors, so I was expecting a
concert-like feel, since I have a few concerts. You know,
where the band is in front of you, applause from the
behind and so on. Then I got hold of Wish You Were
Here, sat down and was excited as hell. This is a whole
new world, I felt like I WAS the music(even before the
vodka kicked in:D ). Shine on really shone(good sentence)
Who says that the band HAS to be in front of you? who
says that there IS a band? It's music.

Now, my only regret is that I would give anything to
hear Dark Side Of The Moon in quad, but my amp.
doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs so I'll have to buy a
new amp AND SACD player for this album:(
Maybe they'll release it on DTS CD somtime?

Another good thing about ping pong music, is that I've
gotten back to that state of LISTENING and not SEEING
the music. I missed that, but it becomes second nature
having an image at the same time.

I just want to say that I'm happy to be here, and I
hope I haven't taken too much of your time.

Nicholas, Copenhagen

Welcome! I'm fairly new to all things quad myself, but you couldn't find a more helpful set of people to start yourself down the road to quadraphonic heaven (and financial ruin!).
BTW, you don't necessarily <em>need</em> an amp with 5.whatever inputs. It all depends upon what you want to do. I'm currently using a vintage quad processor with 2 modern Rotel RA931 integrated stereo amps. There are different methods of linking these up, so have fun experimenting. It's best to keep both / all of the integrateds of the same model if possible to avoid any phase problems, but I've hear mixed setups where people have just added a cheapo amp to power their rear speakers, and it sounded ok. Bear in mind that the human hearing isn't so great to the rear, so it isn't necessarily the world's greatest problem. Doesn't cost as much as a decnt PLII decoder / amp either!
As regard quadraphonic recordings, well, I'd say a good percentage of the (decent) quad original mixes have now been converted to DTS format by some of the denziens of quad who reside on these pages, so I'm sure that someone will be happy to assist in your search for silver disk heaven.
Scott:D

There's a lot of info and help here in these pages, and a few of us who do d.t.s. conversions, my self included and all you have to do is ask or by e-mail, and see what we can do for you ! as far as Floyd I'm a big fan and I for one am very upset with the recent SACD/MC remix garbage ! I'll just stay with the British Q8 d.t.s. cd till they get smart and put it on dvd-a with the 4.0 version Now that I'd Buy! M.L.P. hi rez couldn't get any better than that!:rollin:
As you saw in the d.t.s. section we're here to help!
0] Rob

Another cool way to get 5.1 using vintage equipment is to get two matching quad amps, run the front and back L&R channels through the one amp, and run the center channel and subwoofer through the second amp into the front channel inputs. You can then use the decoder to have a second center channel and subwoofer coming from the rear speaker outputs, which enhances the sound in the center channel and subwoofer. I haven't hooked up a subwoofer yet, but I have two center speakers slightly apart, and I'm getting nice separation on them, which gives me more depth on the vocals and whatnot. I may also try putting the second center and subwoofer speakers in the rear to see how it sound. If I can find another matching quad amp for a good price, I am thinking of putting the front and rear L&R's through the decoders as well, for a total of twelve separate channels. Something to think about.

12 channels. A trifle excessive I feel. :eek: Oh yes. Now that idea I really like. Let us know how you get on, won't you? Hey, that room must be <strong><em>H-U-G-E</em></strong>!!!:lol: :rollin: :lol:

Back