Fosgate Model 5 - What does it do and at $200 is it worth it to pick it up?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching Craigslist and saw a Fosgate Model 5 for sale. Did some searching on this board. Many threads compared the Fosgates to Tates or to Sansui Variomatrix.

Is it particularly good at synthesizing quad from stereo? Seems like it is a Dolby pro logic II decoder and also decodes some quad formats. Priced at $200. Should it have a remote?

eBay shows some sales for Model 4s. One Model 4 is active with a Fosgate audionics 5 channel amp. Plus all kinds of various Fosgate processors with varying prices to match.

I am curious because it seems like I could pair it with a multichannel amp. I mostly use 4 channel discrete for discs or synthesized stereo for streaming. I have no vinyl media. My receivers are all Sansui, a QRX-6001, 5001 and 7500.

Watching Craigslist and saw a Fosgate Model 5 for sale. Did some searching on this board. Many threads compared the Fosgates to Tates or to Sansui Variomatrix.

Is it particularly good at synthesizing quad from stereo? Seems like it is a Dolby pro logic II decoder and also decodes some quad formats. Priced at $200. Should it have a remote?

eBay shows some sales for Model 4s. One Model 4 is active with a Fosgate audionics 5 channel amp. Plus all kinds of various Fosgate processors with varying prices to match.

I am curious because it seems like I could pair it with a multichannel amp. I mostly use 4 channel discrete for discs or synthesized stereo for streaming. I have no vinyl media. My receivers are all Sansui, a QRX-6001, 5001 and 7500.
I have a Fosgate Tate 101A, a Fosgate 360 Space Matrix, and a Fosgate Model 5. Of all of these the Model 5 is my least favorite and all I can say is the soundfield decoding is so bland. Quite a bit like DPL II. Others have spoke well of the Model 5 but that's not my experience. I would not favorably compare it to a Fosgate Tate or Sansui Variomatrix as it does not decode either QS or SQ properly & does not have the wrap around 270 deg stereo enhancement those units posses.

And the unit is 100% unusable if you don't have a functioning remote.

Last edited:
I have a Fosgate Tate 101A, a Fosgate 360 Space Matrix, and a Fosgate Model 5. Of all of these the Model 5 is my least favorite and all I can say is the soundfield decoding is so bland. Quite a bit like DPL II. Others have spoke well of the Model 5 but that's not my experience. I would not favorably compare it to a Fosgate Tate or Sansui Variomatrix as it does not decode either QS or SQ properly & does not have the wrap around 270 deg stereo enhancement those units posses.

And the unit is 100% unusable if you don't have a functioning remote.
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Back