(2023) $80 MQA Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But, there they are..
Then what could be more glorious, SW, than Nikolai Rimsky~Korsakov's 'Flight of the Bumblebees' dancing around in your head in unfolded MQA quality?

Last edited:
If you take a look at the reviews over at Audio Science Review there are plenty of low cost stereo DACs that offer great performance.
That assumes you regard the one measurement ASR performs as being indicative of overall audio quality. I'm sceptical personally. It's a bench test, nothing more.

That assumes you regard the one measurement ASR performs as being indicative of overall audio quality. I'm sceptical personally. It's a bench test, nothing more.
Amir definitely focuses far too much on SINAD, to the ignorance of other important factors.
Agreed on the SINAD, but he does measure other stuff. Distortion, jitter, frequency response, filters. His best work is on speaker performance.

My Arcam AVR31 amp claims to have MQA decoding on board. I have no MQA source material to test this.
Turns out Arcam AVRs only perform MQA processing (supposedly the "Full" variety) when doing network streaming or playing MQA encoded files from USB sticks/discs or over DLNA. They specifically do not perform MQA processing of optical, coax or HDMI digital inputs. This rather limits its use as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose I could rip MQA CDs to FLAC and then play them. If I were remotely interested in MQA.

Turns out Arcam AVRs only perform MQA processing (supposedly the "Full" variety) when doing network streaming or playing MQA encoded files from USB sticks/discs or over DLNA. They specifically do not perform MQA processing of optical, coax or HDMI digital inputs. This rather limits its use as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose I could rip MQA CDs to FLAC and then play them. If I were remotely interested in MQA.
Conversely, the question arises: Is MQA remotely interested in being fully unfolded in the presence of a heretical non believer like OWEN SMITH?????????

Back to the SMSL SU-1, over USB from my Mac mini desktop the MQA indicator indicates only when the Tidal app Exclusive is engaged but about every other track stops dead soon into the song in that mode. Anyone else experience this? Is there a solution?

Sounds great both Exclusive and non Exclusive, of course, but I miss Spotify's eq for my NAD and Sony headphones.

Does Tidal still stream MQA?
I liked the sound with my SMSL DAC, but let my Tidal subscription lapse.

Does Tidal still stream MQA?
I liked the sound with my SMSL DAC, but let my Tidal subscription lapse.
I'm new to Tidal and have trouble finding MQA tracks. Even playlists with 'MQA' in the title have tracks in FLAC. I wonder if the recent update did away with them entirely.

The only benefit I've seen of MQA over high-res FLAC is the light on the SU-1 coming on. And the Exclusive mode is sometimes louder, which is a sales trick.

The only benefit I've seen of MQA over high-res FLAC is the light on the SU-1 coming on. And the Exclusive mode is sometimes louder, which is a sales trick.
giphy.gif

And lucky is the man who has Nikolai Rimksy~Korsakov's marvelous FLIGHT OF THE BUMBLEBEE in Dynaquad by Perry~Kingsley!
Actually my first intro into QUAD was via a Hafler Dynaquad thingamajiggy! I had a very modest system and I remember playing Flight of the Bumblebee [I believe from a Vanguard Quad sampler] and heard all the instruments swirling around the room. And it was probably the most convincing surround track on the disc.

Talk about being royally buzzed [well it was the late '60's]!

Back