Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a 90's kid and those four albums; Weezer, Dirt, Vs. and RATM are favourites. I really need to get a streamer that supports Atmos as my 2017 Nvidia Shield can't seem to do it (I also only have 5.1).
I can confirm the 2017 Nvidia Shield does support Atmos, hit me up using 'Start Conversation' and we can discuss offline if you want.

John Lennon - Mind Games
Deluxe Set w/ Stereo, 5.1, and Atmos Blu-rays Revealed and Discussed

$167 ? They’re playing some mind games. After Who’s Next I’ve put much more thought in deciding what to spend north of $100 on. The preponderance of material in 5.1, however, does increase the value quotient in this particular case. All I can say is, Oh Yoko!

18 Must Hear Spatial Audio Albums (and a Single)
By popular request, reviews of Streaming-in-Atmos-Only titles

No blu-rays of these immersive audio gems
Yet... perhaps these are some viable suggestions for @ForagingRhino or @PaulatSDE

There's five albums on that list I'd buy in a heartbeat on bluray.

Last edited:

Yet... perhaps these are some viable suggestions for @ForagingRhino or @PaulatSDE

10 More:
KISS Self Titled
Glen Campbell By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Mickey Hart Planet Drum
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Wildflowers & All the Rest
Willie Nelson Red Headed Stranger
Modest Mouse Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Jimi Hendrix First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
Paul McCartney & Wings Band On The Run
The Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Daft Punk Random Access Memories

10 More:
KISS Self Titled
Mickey Hart Planet Drum
Good candidates for episode 2!

10 More:
KISS Self Titled
Mickey Hart Planet Drum
Pet Sounds and First Rays would be religious experiences!

My favorite of the Bill Joel Atmos mixes is Piano Man.
If you haven't heard it, check out George Michael's Songs From the Lat Century. You might be pleasantly surprised. Great mix .

Other streaming only favorites:
Brian Eno - Another Green World (Eno puts you in the center of Phil Collins' drum kit like SW did on A Farewell to Kings).
Christine McVie - In the Meantime
Donny McCaslin - I Want More
My Morning Jacket - My Morning Jacket (This had disappeared from Apple Music for a while but it's back now)
Troi Amos - Ocean to Ocean
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Julian Lennon - Jude

And a few stand out individual tracks:
Sting - "Moon Over Bourbon Street"
Coldplay - "Coloratura"
A-ha - "Take On Me"
Earth Wind & Fire - "September"
Oingo Boingo - "Weird Science"
Keane - "Is It Any Wonder"
Heart - "Barracuda" & "Crazy On You"
Pat Benatar - "We Belong"

Would love to see and be able to buy a physical release of Another Green World and The Low Spark Of High Heel Boys (apparently the title is a dig at Mott The Hoople their label bandmates at the time. Now I know what it means...)
Maybe @ForagingRhino and/or @PaulatSDE can make those happen. That would be every cool!

Would love to see and be able to buy a physical release of Another Green World and The Low Spark Of High Heel Boys (apparently the title is a dig at Mott The Hoople their label bandmates at the time. Now I know what it means...)
I never heard that. I have read the title came from Michal J Pollard. What is the source of that info?

Ok. Good question. I was recently reading the book that came with the Mott The Hoople box set Mental Train. I thought that's where I read it.
But it's not mentioned there though Traffic is.

I was beginning to wonder if I dreamed this but then I remembered I was skimming thru a book I have called Copendium by Julian Cope researching the two Mott albums after Ian Hunter left.
There are two mentions about theTraffic album name.
On page 118 it says the so- jazz members of Traffic slagged off their too-flash Island Records label mates Mott The Hoople on the album The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.
Then going to page 607 footnote 7 there is a sentence muso snobbery of the late 60s Island Records inner sanctum which caused Guy Steven's Hereford -derived Mott The Hoople studio project to be mythologized as yokel morons by Traffic in the title track of their 1971 LP the low Spark of High Heeled boys.
Where Julian Cope got this I don't know.....

Last edited:
RtL is a really good suggestion.

Regarding the making of a multichannel album, an interview has been shot about the making of Disturbing the Universe. It's just unclear when the film maker will have time for post production. I'm trying to work that out with him.
Maybe a good idea to make up your mind about the releases so far by #SDE with a top ten in your eyes, mind, feeling and sound wise.

Back