Difference between UK and US Quad Dark Side Of The Moon?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was wondering if there was a huge difference between these two? It seems I have read here that the British one is THE one to have. I do have one but I believe it is the US version because it does not have a track break during "Money". Just wondering?

The difference is between the two Q8: the british is true discrete 4-channel, while the US is a SQ-decoded cart.

I have had a UK pressing of Dark Side since 1975, and the only difference that I am aware of is that the posters that were are included are different (yes I still have the posters, and they have never been hung up on a wall): US version: Pyramid poster: green monochrome shot of the pyramids from a distance. Pink Floyd poster: vertical orientation. UK version: Pyramid poster: blue monochrome shot of the pyramids up close (most likely the same photo, just cropped differently). Pink Floyd poster: horizontal orientation. Also (and most important in my mind), the UK pressing is much quieter. As for the music, I haven't listened to the US version in so long I really don't remember if there are any differences in the mix, but I don't remember any of my friends commenting on that, and we listend to Pink Floyd a LOT. I do remember that everyone was very impressed with the sound quality of the UK version (and everyone still is).

I think we're talkin' 'bout the Q8 not the L.P. here !
The British Q8 is "THE" one to have it is the Discreet as done by Alan Parsons . There is a link somewhere about the interview on our site good reading! The British Q8 is GREAT and kicks butt on the Us Q8 and the TateII SQ and has been done in d.t.s. and I have done a 5.1 version myself. The Tape when it does make it to e-bay goes through the roof BIG $$$
You may want to pick up a d.t.s. conversion and or wait till
03-03-03 as it may be comming out on DVD-A also noted on this site just this past week!
Rob :smokin:

I have the British SQ lp, as well as the SQ records cd bootleg. One difference between the two is the voice at the end of the British lp that says "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark". Not having the US lp, I can't say if this part is on it, but it's not on the CD.

> and I have done a 5.1 version myself.

Hello AAS.

In you 5.1 mix, are the originall 4 channels untampered and in its place, and the 1.1s are additions?

The "There is no dark side..." blurb is on every commercial release of DSOTM I have ever heard. The original quad CD bootleg (along with AHM and WYWH) had GREAT packaging, but the quality of the music is horrible. It doesn't surprise me that they managed to lop off the end of the record. The SQ quad boots are to be avoided, unless you are an avid fan and want the great packaging.

Is there even a US release of the Dark Side SQ LP? I never thought so. Its not in the discography.

I thought that the only Pink Floyd SQ LP released in the US was WYWH, but this even had a skip pressed into the groove during Shine On.

> and I have done a 5.1 version myself.

Hello AAS.

In you 5.1 mix, are the originall 4 channels untampered and in its place, and the 1.1s are additions?

Yes !
and yes to the ? about the DSOTM US version Q4SHVLA.804

radioheadrox2002,

Yes, there was a U.S. SQ pressing of AHM, DSOTM, and WYWH. Actually, all three were released in various different countries. As for the defect you mention in "Shine On", it does not exist on my U.S. copy. Sounds like yours is defective, but certainly not ALL U.S. pressings are defective!

Regards,
Cai

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Yes, there was a U.S. SQ pressing of AHM, DSOTM, and WYWH. [/quote]

WYWH, yes. AHM & DSOTM - ????

:-jon

I don't actually own a US WYWH quad LP. The Pink Floyd Discography at the Pink Floyd Archives says that the US version of WYWH SQ lp had a defect and were withdrawn quickly (and never rereleased). Are you sure that there are US SQ pressings of AHM and DSOTM? Neither the quad discography nor the Pink Floyd Archives Discography list them. They do say that there were US Q8s of each album though.

Here is a quote from the website:
Release Information: SQ quadraphonic release by Columbia Records. Issued with the cover hidden by blue shrink wrap, and two stickers on the cover. This record was discontinued shortly after release and never reissued. Side one of this record ends with a segment of the song, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part IX), following the song, Welcome to the Machine. There is also a skip pressed into the grooves during the song Shine On. No scancode on the back cover.

Here is the website:

ourworld.compuserve.com/h...iscTOC.htm

James

Hmmm, I coulda sworn that SQ versions of AHM and DSOTM were released in the US. My SQ DSOTM is UK but I think my SQ AHM is US. Maybe not. I'll check when I get home tonight!

However, my SQ version of WYWH is definitely a US copy. I cannot speak for side one ending with "a segment of the song" (whatever that means) but I certainly would have noticed something like that! I'll have to give it a listen and see what's up. One thing that is for certain is that my copy does NOT skip during "Shine On" or any other place in the record for that matter. Just shows that you can't believe everything you read, even on the net, long known as an unwavering source for accurate information. :p

I'll do my homework on the two issues and report back.

In any event,

1974: Pink Floyd signs with Columbia Records (in US at least) and issues Wish You Were Here in SQ LP / Q8 formats in 1975.

Their prior Harvest (aka Capitol here; EMI there) catalog is represented by DSOTM - Q8 issued stateside in Fall 1974 and various SQ releases around the world. Ditto for AHM...

No US SQ counterparts on these, just EMI/Harvest import LPs...

timbre4

Holy crap, it sucks getting old! I'm losing my mind, I tell ya!

I was positive I had a US SQ WYWH and pretty sure I had a US SQ AHM. Wrong on both counts. They are both British copies.

So, you can pretty much disregard everything I've had to say on the topic. Just shoot me now and put me out of your misery. :x

Seems I'm part of the problem on internet disinformation... at least for today. Argh!

Just a mention. I also have the SQ records bootleg CD of WYWH and it in fact contains this skip during Shine On. However, it also contains the "secret track" at the end of Welcome to the Machine" which is a minute or so of keyboard from Shine On. The SQ records DSOTM CD has a few ticks and pops on the recording as well. I've seen gold CD versions of these recordings for sale, curious to know if they're any better. There are also versions that have two cd's, one with the front tracks, and one with the rear which recommends synching up with two cd players. Perhaps usable for creating a true quad CD?

I'll second that. I have the US WYWH vinyl
and it has the keyboard solo rudely tagged
on the end of side one. I can't vouch for the
skip though...

Jay

I thought you were nuts, Cai, but I deferred to you. I have two Edgar Winter Group LPs, one is the vacuum cleaner lp, the other is Jasmine Nightdreams. Both have skips in them and I have owned them both from new. I found a second copy of Jasmine Nightdreams without the skips. My point is that some of the CBS quads seem to have skips built in.
Marc

Back