Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im on my own - kinda sorta - the company offered me the Sony Universal or they have a barely used Oppo 203 ( damn - when he mentioned he had an Oppo I was hoping for 205 ! ). Or I go on my own and get a Magnetar
Smart move. While the 203 is good ... the 205 has a beefier power supply and analogue outs and IMO, is a much better player.

Im on my own - kinda sorta - the company offered me the Sony Universal or they have a barely used Oppo 203 ( damn - when he mentioned he had an Oppo I was hoping for 205 ! ). Or I go on my own and get a Magnetar
Second hand Oppo 205 is about the same cost as Magnetar with the multi channel outputs. I'd say the Oppo is better value and has more features like HDMI in. And you can still get the Oppo serviced by Oppo Digital in the US.

This Oak on the back of our property has intrigued me. Its BIG ( pics dont really show true size ) It is 12 foot 2 inches diameter measure from 4 foot height.
Based on this the web tells me that this tree is about 180 years old !! Almost as old as 4 Ears Ralphie !!
Is the oak tree older than the US state it is growing in? I can't remember where this is and whether your profile location is up to date with your move.

Regardless, the maples be damned. That is one precious oak tree.

And for Ricko's inagural listening session in late December, he will play Steve Wilson's NEW ATMOS REMIXES of LED ZEP 1~4 which were newly commissioned from the absolute ATLANTIC RECORDS analogue multitracks by RHINO records!

LOL +++++++

Smart move. While the 203 is good ... the 205 has a beefier power supply and analogue outs and IMO, is a much better player.
I have to say if you're doing all the audio out over HDMI for decoding in the processor, I don't see what value a 205 adds. And you can get processors that will take DSD over HDMI and decode it. I don't recall if Ricky said which way he wanted to go on the decoding.

I have to say if you're doing all the audio out over HDMI for decoding in the processor, I don't see what value a 205 adds. And you can get processors that will take DSD over HDMI and decode it. I don't recall if Ricky said which way he wanted to go on the decoding.
As a further point of reference, the 205 [not that it matters to YOU] added MQA, and Dolby Vision via firmware updates. And yes, I plug my 205 into Meridian's proprietary 722 HDMI switcher/processor which, IMO, greatly enhances the 205's playback capabilities.

I wanted an analog Balanced Circuit into my pre/pro. I wanted it to be Fully Balanced and utilize my Luman CD player and its DAC. The Marantz has XLR inputs but this is not a Fully Balanced circuit. So WTF. Ended up going Anthem due to its far better room correction software

Michigan became a state in 1837. The oak tree on property was born about 1844

I wanted an analog Balanced Circuit into my pre/pro. I wanted it to be Fully Balanced and utilize my Luman CD player and its DAC. The Marantz has XLR inputs but this is not a Fully Balanced circuit. So WTF. Ended up going Anthem due to its far better room correction software

To really find out how you need to cut it down and count the rings. 🤪

Yes but are you going to be outputting multi channel analogue from the UHD player, or sending all multi channel audio over HDMI? This makes a large difference to your player options.
About the same age then, within the error margins of estimating the age of the oak tree.

As a further point of reference, the 205 [not that it matters to YOU] added MQA, and Dolby Vision via firmware updates. And yes, I plug my 205 into Meridian's proprietary 722 HDMI switcher/processor which, IMO, greatly enhances the 205's playback capabilities.
I believe the Oppo 203 also does Dolby Vision. Mine certainly thinks it can, it has menu options for it and lists it as the HDR type if you press and hold 'i' on the remote to pull up the audio/video details. It then screws up by playing 24p discs to my non Dolby Vision TV (ie Dolby Vision in the player) by stupidly converting them to 60p for output, but I blame Dolby for that not Oppo. I just avoid Dolby Vision 4K discs now, I'd rather play 1920x1080 blu rays at 24p.

MQA can be done in the processor, no need for support in the player. And anyway, even for people that think it's a good thing is it worth investing in MQA now to the degree that it influences equipment purchasing decisions? It's a dead format.

What I want to know @cbmmm3 :

When is the Ricky's Audio Video Barn HOUSEWARMING PARTY?

I believe the Oppo 203 also does Dolby Vision. Mine certainly thinks it can, it has menu options for it and lists it as the HDR type if you press and hold 'i' on the remote to pull up the audio/video details. It then screws up by playing 24p discs to my non Dolby Vision TV (ie Dolby Vision in the player) by stupidly converting them to 60p for output, but I blame Dolby for that not Oppo. I just avoid Dolby Vision 4K discs now, I'd rather play 1920x1080 blu rays at 24p.

MQA can be done in the processor, no need for support in the player. And anyway, even for people that think it's a good thing is it worth investing in MQA now to the degree that it influences equipment purchasing decisions? It's a dead format.
I opted for the OPPO 205 because I really care about sound quality. It has a beefier power supply than the 203 which IMO was worth the upgrade. I outfitted the 205 with a superior power cord plugged into a Shunyata Research power conditioner and chose an Audioquest cinnamon HDMI connector for output into Meridian's proprietary UDP722 HDMI switcher box which refines the incoming signal through upsampling and the use of an apodising filter which then is routed into my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro. The sound is nothing short of spectacular!

I opted for the OPPO 205 because I really care about sound quality. It has a beefier power supply than the 203 which IMO was worth the upgrade. I outfitted the 205 with a superior power cord plugged into a Shunyata Research power conditioner and chose an Audioquest cinnamon HDMI connector for output into Meridian's proprietary UDP722 HDMI switcher box which refines the incoming signal through upsampling and the use of an apodising filter which then is routed into my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro. The sound is nothing short of spectacular!
Ah, someone who thinks expensive mains leads and HDMI leads change the sound and/or picture quality. As for refining the HDMI signal, what a load of horse manure. The HDMI data is either a correct representation of the audio and video data on the disc or it isn't. The 205's switched mode power supply for the digital section of the player, which is all you are using with HDMI out, is identical to the 203's. Yes there's a separate analogue supply on the 205 but you aren't using that. I suspect you and I will never agree about equipment.

What I want to know @cbmmm3 :

When is the Ricky's Audio Video Barn HOUSEWARMING PARTY?
not sure yet. wont know til we get farther along with the build process. The oddity in my local jurisdiction is that the barn cannot be completed prior to the house. The barn is MUCH further along in build progress at the moment and I could get it done by Sept - but - the house needs to have final inspection and occupancy permit prior to an accessory building permits. So the house drives the bus. And we have just started framing the house.

My estimate is early to mid December.

Ah, someone who thinks expensive mains leads and HDMI leads change the sound and/or picture quality. As for refining the HDMI signal, what a load of horse manure. The HDMI data is either a correct representation of the audio and video data on the disc or it isn't. The 205's switched mode power supply for the digital section of the player, which is all you are using with HDMI out, is identical to the 203's. Yes there's a separate analogue supply on the 205 but you aren't using that. I suspect you and I will never agree about equipment.
You buy cheap ...and you get cheap.

You buy cheap ...and you get cheap.
How about this Motorola AM transistor radio from 1959. It cost $319 in today's dollars. That is $3828 to set up a 7.1.4 atmos system using these radios. $4309 if you upgrade to that $75 subwoofer in the lower left hand corner.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.48.19 AM.jpg

the Next Steps upcoming in the next 2-3 months
1. need to get garage portion of barn floor poured. Hopefully this week
2. Build out the utility room ( houses the furnace, water heater, etc ) in barn garage after the floor is poured
3. then plumbing rough in
4. then HVAC rough in
5. then electrical rough in
6. then Audio / video rough in
7. then wall insulations
8. then drywall
9. then attic insulations
And a partridge in a pear tree.

Back