Def Leppard 'Pyromania' - Atmos version (4CD/Blu-Ray set with Giles Martin Dolby Atmos mix coming in April!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just arrived. I actually prefer the box with a smaller footprint. The last thing I need is stuff that needlessly takes up more space.
It's really closer to the size of the John Lennon "Gimme Some Truth" and Hawkwind "Space Ritual" box than the George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" box.

While you were all arguing about the best price, I pulled the trigger at $100 USD on Amazon. Figured, all those discs...how could I go wrong? Well, let me tell you...

The remastered CD is excellent... The outtakes, demos and rough recordings (disc 2) are interesting, but ultimately annoying...I don't care much about live recordings (discs 3 & 4) - they almost always lack vs. the studio recordings

I'm completely unimpressed with the blu-ray. The HDMA 5.1 mix is decidedly not very surround. Just a giant, remastered 2.1 mix. It sounds great, don't get me wrong - but it's just not very surround..

I got the box set and enjoyed the remastered stereo mixes (both album and instrumental0. But when I tested the 5.1 surround mix - I was just sitting there waiting for the surround - which mostly never happened. Just fronts and sub - even the main vocals are stereo, not centered. I was terribly thrown by this. Those classic harmonies weren't even mixed into the rears... This is a truly wasted opportunity. What a shame.

It's a nice set for the price, but don't expect much from the blu-ray other than the beautiful instrumentals in stereo...sorry folks, this one does not end up in the Victory column...

Last edited:
I'm completely unimpressed with the blu-ray. The HDMA 5.1 mix is decidedly not very surround. Just a giant, remastered 2.1 mix. It sounds great, don't get me wrong - but it's just not very surround..

I got the box set and enjoyed the remastered stereo mixes (both album and instrumental0. But when I tested the 5.1 surround mix - I was just sitting there waiting for the surround - which mostly never happened. Just fronts and sub - even the main vocals are stereo, not centered. I was terribly thrown by this. Those classic harmonies weren't even mixed into the rears... This is a truly wasted opportunity. What a shame.

It's a nice set for the price, but don't expect much from the blu-ray other than the beautiful instrumentals in stereo...
Perhaps try the Atmos mix? Even if you don't have an Atmos system, it may sound better and/or more immersive than the 5.1, which may or may not be a dedicated mix.

On my 5.1 home system, I like the Atmos mix better. On a whole, I like the surround mix a lot. I find the mix clean, discrete, and as GOS would say, it rocks. It is a Mutt Lange rock album, big guitars, keyboards, and bgvs. Crank it up and enjoy. One of my favorites when I was in high school. So happy it is here this summer. I am sure it will be heavy in my rotation. I hope it sells well and we see High n' Dry and Hysteria one day.

Perhaps try the Atmos mix? Even if you don't have an Atmos system, it may sound better and/or more immersive than the 5.1, which may or may not be a dedicated mix.
I haven't heard this Pyromania mix, but I absolutely have to second this. The 5.1 mix on Air's 10 000 HZ is terrible and the Atmos is great, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have Atmos speakers.

I'll give it a whirl, though I'm not hopeful. Given the dynamics of this album (thanks Mutt Lange), I figured this was a shoe-in. But the Master Audio 5.1 mix was just boring.

Though, like I said, I truly enjoyed the instrumental tracks and remastered stereo mixes.

On my 5.1 home system, the Atmos mix is definitely more immersive and has more presence in the surround channels compared to the 5.1 mix. Also, i get better vocal clarity with a 'phantom' center, meaning the center channel turned off and the vocals spread/blended across the front L+R speakers. The entire front stage is presented as a 'whole' and everything is located at the same height compared to using the center speaker which usually sits either above or below the TV.
Generally, I find a phantom center works better with surround music material and i only use the center channel for movies since all the dialogue is recorded in that channel.
The bass & LFE output is well executed and truly a delight on this Blu-ray, tight & punchy!!!

Last edited:
Been waiting (hoping) for a price drop at some point. The surround reviews are mostly favorable so I'm in, would just prefer to pay closer to $50 than $100 which is where it seems to be sitting right now.

For me this is a 100% nostalgia purchase. This and Hysteria were played a ton as a kid. The songs still mostly hold up. Fun, solid performances, decent engineering.

Back