I'm on the Atmos trail! (Finally - Old Man yells at height speakers!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
After much pondering, hemming and hawning, I made the move, purchased a new receiver, a new projector and bluray player for my theater room, and moved into the current century. It's all under construction as I type (I'm doing it all myself, of course), but I will finally be able to experience (of course at a diminished hearing level) what you've all been howling about for the past year or so. Once I get it all together, I will have to jump on the Apple Music and Tidal stuff. I hope it's worth it with my horrible hearing. I expect it to be fun.

So, although I've been sorta dormant for the past year or so around here, I have been paying attention and now that I'll be able to keep up with some of you, this place will be more fun for me.

What the hell? It appears you can still teach old dogs new tricks! :SG

Nice! Are you setting up height speakers or starting just with the new AVR and 5.1 or 7.1 on the ground?

Well, I am replacing my ceiling projector. So, since I have a conduit that runs from the crawlspace under my theater room to the projector, and it's a 2" deal because back when the addition was built, the standard video cable was that huge YPbPr cable for laserdiscs, and I have to replace the existing HDMI cable with one that does 4K, I am going to pull a couple of speaker wires up with the HDMI cable and then fish them through the ceiling and mount 2 ceiling mount speakers on either side of the projector, as far in front of it and to the sides as I can. These will be my heights. Doing 4 would really be an issue, although I realize that would be the way to do it, but the beams run parallel to the screen, and in order to get wires into the next cavity I would have to really rip out some sheetrock, and since I don't hear that well anymore anyway, I'm just going to settle for the 2 height speakers. It's better than none.

The current setup is actually 7.1, as I added some smaller rear surround speakers a few years ago when that was the rage. They never did much for me at the time.

Anyway, thanks for asking. I am looking forward to moving to 4K and Atmos. It appears that's the way of the world now. Can't be left behind!

Anyway, thanks for asking. I am looking forward to moving to 4K and Atmos. It appears that's the way of the world now. Can't be left behind!
Even with just the two heights, I think you're gonna be blown away by what Steven Wilson (and others) are doing with this format. Plus, there are a bunch of great never-reissued-digitally '70s quads (Blue Oyster Cult, Isley Brothers, Dan Fogelberg, etc) streaming on Apple Music.

After much pondering, hemming and hawning, I made the move, purchased a new receiver, a new projector and bluray player for my theater room, and moved into the current century. It's all under construction as I type (I'm doing it all myself, of course), but I will finally be able to experience (of course at a diminished hearing level) what you've all been howling about for the past year or so. Once I get it all together, I will have to jump on the Apple Music and Tidal stuff. I hope it's worth it with my horrible hearing. I expect it to be fun.

So, although I've been sorta dormant for the past year or so around here, I have been paying attention and now that I'll be able to keep up with some of you, this place will be more fun for me.

Hi Jon. You will enjoy the additional speakers.

Here is a great site to test what you can actually hear.
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

Glad you have the chance to pull the trigger on your upgrade. I installed the speakers and ran the cable while I was building my room, but, alas, I still can’t decode or drive Atmos signals. And I have a ton of gear that requires “attention” this year.

Put in a “green with envy” emoji here.

Well, I am replacing my ceiling projector. So, since I have a conduit that runs from the crawlspace under my theater room to the projector, and it's a 2" deal because back when the addition was built, the standard video cable was that huge YPbPr cable for laserdiscs, and I have to replace the existing HDMI cable with one that does 4K, I am going to pull a couple of speaker wires up with the HDMI cable and then fish them through the ceiling and mount 2 ceiling mount speakers on either side of the projector, as far in front of it and to the sides as I can. These will be my heights. Doing 4 would really be an issue, although I realize that would be the way to do it, but the beams run parallel to the screen, and in order to get wires into the next cavity I would have to really rip out some sheetrock, and since I don't hear that well anymore anyway, I'm just going to settle for the 2 height speakers. It's better than none.

The current setup is actually 7.1, as I added some smaller rear surround speakers a few years ago when that was the rage. They never did much for me at the time.

Hey Jon; congrats on the upgrade; FYI: I lost all the hearing in my right ear, due to nerve damage, & Radiation, 2 years ago
The good news is that my hearing in my left ear is perfect
Anyway, my Home System consists of a Sony/XR-77A80J OLED; Sony UBP-1100ES 4K BluRay, & a Sonos Arc Soundbar
The ATMOS Music, & 4K Video is connected, by the eARC input on the OLED
I can play almost anything; DD/5.1+, DTS/5.1, Dolby True/HD/7.1, & 5.1, HDR, Dolby Vision, etc.
I CANNOT play DVD/A, s, except in DD/5.1, DTS/CD's, SACD/5.1's,& BluRay audio's, unless I disconnect the Sonos,
& play them through my Sony OLED
To me, this ATMOS streaming, is weak, compared to my older discs; even with my one Ear!
It doesn't have the dynamic range, that I prefer; I'm hoping that some ATMOS/True HD hard discs, become available
from bands like Pink Floyd, Beatles Stones, etc.
Not looking for BOX SETS
Anyway, enjoy your new Toys; I'll never forget the USB you made for my new Acura, in 5.1
Best always,

Carl

I wish you'd speak up! Dammit I can barely hear you! lol. Hey guy, I've had severe tinnitus for over 50 years and I'm sporting a 7.1.4 Atmos system. Just crank that knob that says "volume" and you'll be OK buddy.

With Yamaha 5.1.2 I enjoy Atmos. Would I miss it, no.
I run 5.1.4. If the change from stereo to 5.1 lossless is assumed to be a 10 on my imaginary surround-impact rating scale, the change from 5.1 to Atmos is only a 3. Streamed Atmos would only be a 2. I have yet to hear a streamed album with stellar sound, regardless of surround format. But several are decent enough.

The saving grace is the amount of material that can be had only via streaming.

I run 5.1.4. If the change from stereo to 5.1 lossless is assumed to be a 10 on my imaginary surround-impact rating scale, the change from 5.1 to Atmos is only a 3. Streamed Atmos would only be a 2. I have yet to hear a streamed album with stellar sound, regardless of surround format. But several are decent enough.

The saving grace is the amount of material that can be had only via streaming.
:cool: I enjoy the Atmos music/movies that I own, especially the Beatles. dts NeuralX is great for antenna and cable TV.

No love for dts NeuralX :LOL:

Thanks everyone. Here's a peek at my retrofit under construction. The hanging wires are from the old projector. The new round holes in the ceiling are where the height speakers will go. The other holes are from installs past, but I need to get into them to pull the new HDMI cables. Once I do that, I'll put everything in place, patch the little holes, and put the blank off plates over the others.

Today I got sheet rock dust all over the room, and mostly me! I think I'm to old now to do stuff like this, but I'm still doing it!

Theater 2-13-2023.jpg

Thanks everyone. Here's a peek at my retrofit under construction. The hanging wires are from the old projector. The new round holes in the ceiling are where the height speakers will go. The other holes are from installs past, but I need to get into them to pull the new HDMI cables. Once I do that, I'll put everything in place, patch the little holes, and put the blank off plates over the others.

Today I got sheet rock dust all over the room, and mostly me! I think I'm to old now to do stuff like this, but I'm still doing it!

View attachment 88574
Jon, just do like I do. When I'm up on the ladder and my leg starts shaking, I just reach for something and be still for a minute.
Hey, being a few past 70 myself, ya do what ya gotta do. Just take your time.
Oh....and don't fall! ...being very serious here. Slow and easy wins the race and many hours of listening fun.

View attachment 88574
Jon, may I ask what projector you are moving from and then upgrading to? And what kind of screen you are using?

For myself moving upgrading my 1080p projector to 4k would require a better screen, and much changing from light to dark room surfaces to keep the contrast. Most interested in your approach to this.

Jon, just do like I do. When I'm up on the ladder and my leg starts shaking, I just reach for something and be still for a minute.
Hey, being a few past 70 myself, ya do what ya gotta do. Just take your time.
Oh....and don't fall! ...being very serious here. Slow and easy wins the race and many hours of listening fun.
Up and down the ladder is pretty easy for me. Down & up from the floor, not so much. There's always Advil I guess.

Jon, may I ask what projector you are moving from and then upgrading to? And what kind of screen you are using?

For myself moving upgrading my 1080p projector to 4k would require a better screen, and much changing from light to dark room surfaces to keep the contrast. Most interested in your approach to this.

I got an Epson 5050UB to replace my Sony VPL-VW60. The Epson was $500 of so it triggered this whole process. apparently it's not full blown 4K, but it's rated really well. I honestly did not want to pay the price for a real 4K as I still may only be in this house for another year or so, if I make it! :)

The screen I have is old, bought in the 90's, so it's going to have to work. It's a Draper, I think. I will have to live with it, as I am pretty maxed out after going nuts on the receiver (Denon AVR-3800H), the projector and the Panasonic 4K Bluray machine (I never got one of the 4K Oppo's when they were offered)

Up and down the ladder is pretty easy for me. Down & up from the floor, not so much. There's always Advil I guess.

Yeah, the ladder is not an issue for me. It's bending down a lot and crawling, which is why I am dreading the foray into the crawl space under my addition to pull the new HDMI and speaker cables. I might need a week off after that, or a hospital stay!

Back