Pink Floyd "Animals (2022 Atmos mix)" Blu-ray Audio incl. hi-res Dolby Atmos; 5.1 and stereo mixes (2018 remix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The specs for the new Blu Ray Atmos disc are impressive:

5.1 SURROUND MIX in 24bit/96kHz UNCOMPRESSED
DTS-HD MA Dolby Atmos
DTS-HD MA STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED
DTS-HD MA 1977 STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED

Question: How, if at all, would the SACD version be superior?

Short answer: it wouldn't.

Long answer: setting aside that the SACD only contains the 5.1 and new stereo mixes (no Atmos, no original stereo), it depends on whether you perceive an auditory advantage to DSD as compared to PCM. There's no technical advantage to DSD; in fact, there are technical disadvantages. Nevertheless, there are those who claim that DSD sounds "better" and "more analogue," whatever that means.

Short answer: it wouldn't.

Long answer: setting aside that the SACD only contains the 5.1 and new stereo mixes (no Atmos, no original stereo), it depends on whether you perceive an auditory advantage to DSD as compared to PCM. There's no technical advantage to DSD; in fact, there are technical disadvantages. Nevertheless, there are those who claim that DSD sounds "better" and "more analogue," whatever that means.
Thanks, I was trying to understand why the SACD version is twice as much when you get the original stereo uncompressed version on the Atmos disc, plus everything else (sans SACD), seems like an easy choice to me.

The specs for the new Blu Ray Atmos disc are impressive:

5.1 SURROUND MIX in 24bit/96kHz UNCOMPRESSED
DTS-HD MA Dolby Atmos
DTS-HD MA STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED
DTS-HD MA 1977 STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED
Hmmm...

The originally quoted audio format specifications don't make sense. For example, what the hell is "DTS-HD MA Dolby Atmos" supposed to be?

None, contrary to audiophile fairytales, SACD has no sonic advantage over PCM.

"DTS-HD MA Dolby Atmos" supposed to be?
Good question, I never heard of Atmos being done on DTS-HD ?
Dolby TrueHD is the format for Atmos
DTS-X is the DTS object based format?

Well remember, the 5.1 mix was supposed to be out a lot earlier than it was. Roger drug the release out complaining about the liner notes.

Makes me wonder if The Wall will ever see a real re-master/spatial release while he's alive. I can only imagine the hoops he'd make them jump through. At this rate he would probably want the Pink Floyd name removed.

Well remember, the 5.1 mix was supposed to be out a lot earlier than it was. Roger drug the release out complaining about the liner notes.

Roger and Dave disagreed about the liner notes. (Liner notes that Roger did not commission, BTW). Neither would budge. It only got released when Roger agreed to give in.

Makes me wonder if The Wall will ever see a real re-master/spatial release while he's alive. I can only imagine the hoops he'd make them jump through.
Fully agree. But speaking strictly for myself, if it never comes I could care less.
IMHO the best songs on it are Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb which have been performed better on other albums. The show closing versions on the 1994 PULSE album being oft referred to
as the greatest guitar solo ever.
I can think of a couple other PF's I'd rather get an Atmos mix of, but that's just me.
YMMV

Roger and Dave disagreed about the liner notes. (Liner notes that Roger did not commission, BTW). Neither would budge. It only got released when Roger agreed to give in.

Yeah reading these articles paints a pretty clear picture to me who was having a fit about it. But maybe you have a different take. The only thing I can find on the other side is that these weren't part of the original release and the band had not typically done any, so David didn't feel adding them at this point would have been appropriate.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/pink-floyd-animals-liner-notes

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-animals-liner-notes/

"As I am banned by Dave Gilmour from posting on Pink Floyd’s Facebook page with its 30,000,000 subscribers"

Um.. you haven't been part of Pink Floyd for a while Roger. Your decision BTW. Why would you even think you SHOULD be able to post on that page?

Fully agree. But speaking strictly for myself, if it never comes I could care less.
IMHO the best songs on it are Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb which have been performed better on other albums. The show closing versions on the 1994 PULSE album being oft referred to
I can think of a couple other PF's I'd rather get an Atmos mix of, but that's just me.
YMMV

There are a few songs on there I would like in addition to the ones you mentioned. But, as I've said before I feel The Wall is a great single album with a lot of filler. Granted from a theatrical standpoint the filler mostly works, but as a musical work for me I'd trim it.

Yeah Atmos wise I would love to have WYWH, Meddle, AMLoR and Division Bell. Oh and Obscured By Clouds would be a buy for me as well. I just mentioned The Wall because we don't have any real spatial re-issue.

Yeah reading these articles paints a pretty clear picture to me who was having a fit about it. But maybe you have a different take. The only thing I can find on the other side is that these weren't part of the original release and the band had not typically done any, so David didn't feel adding them at this point would have been appropriate.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/pink-floyd-animals-liner-notes

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-animals-liner-notes/

"As I am banned by Dave Gilmour from posting on Pink Floyd’s Facebook page with its 30,000,000 subscribers"

Um.. you haven't been part of Pink Floyd for a while Roger. Your decision BTW. Why would you even think you SHOULD be able to post on that page?

My take is that they couldn't come to an agreement on the matter. Neither was willing to budge over something that was in reality, quite trivial. It doesn't paint either of them in a positive light. Nick Mason has commented that he's tired of the bickering between the two of them and wishes that they could both learn to meet each other halfway. As a fan of every member of the band, I feel the same.

YMMV
Agree 100%. I never cared for The Wall, album or movie, at all.
I'd rather have an ATMOS version of the Echoes compilation (edits and segues intact) before The Wall!

Back